Do you ever get that feeling where you are overwhelmed and you have taken on a big workload? Well that’s me now, my head is so full of information and I cannot stop my mind racing with thoughts, and that’s when I know it is time to slow down!
Well I can try but life is crazy right now as Christmas is here! For those of you who do not know I am the Marketing Manager for three shopping centres and Christmas to me is organising decorations, father Christmas photos, a Christmas pageant for 5,000 people, advertising and catalogues – times that by three shopping centres, add 200 emails a day and then you are close to the speed at which I have to work.
Boo hoo – who cares, you might be saying, you take it upon yourself, and yes this is true – but how do I maintain my health and well being, considering I have lots of social events, the Adelaide fashion festival and no holidays until January 2011. Oh yes I work on Christmas Eve, New Years Eve and the pace is unrelenting and stressful, crazy!
I thought I would give you an insight into how I do it in the hope it will help you:
- Fill up my water bottle every day and make sure I drink 1 litre before work, 1.5 during work an another litre in the evening, water is my number 1 priority.
- Eliminate coffee and drink green tea and lots of other herbals teas like peppermint, dandelion and nettle, this really helps.
- Always pack my lunch the night before and have it ready to go, I never buy my lunch as I do not have time. I always get away from my desk to the lunch room to eat, even for 5 minutes otherwise I get a million phone calls and I cannot chew my food properly (which is key for healthy digestion and absorbing nutrients).
- Remain calm when everyone and everything is in turmoil around me. In the corporate world there are a lot of stressed out people – some are very hard to deal with, but by stooping to their level or rudeness or stress it affects my wellbeing, so I choose to be calm and happy all the time – there is a solution to every problem, and I refuse to let stupid people get to me, this is a choice I make and it is not easy!
- Put my workouts in my diary like an appointment.
- Rest when I need to – resting is very important.
- Do yoga and pilates.
Ok and that’s my list for today. Before I go I want to share another picture of me doing yoga.
You see I used to be able to put both legs behind my head and do some incredible back bends but have become very stiff lately! I do Ashtanga power yoga that is very challenging and lots of yoga teachers also come to this class for their own workout. As I have been doing it only 1 x week (instead of 6 days per week as I used to) I am now so stiff I can barely get deep into the postures any more. I was so damn frustrated after class but I choose to just laugh it off and be happy, I can’t be my best at everything at one time and nor do I want to be, geez my hamstrings were sore!
“ You can have it all, but you cannot have everything at the one time!” – great quote not sure where from.
Love and Light
Amelia x o