10 things I wish I knew when I started this sport!
The Natural bodybuilding and fitness industry has skyrocketed in popularity and there are many people wishing to make a start.
I will begin with a few words from my client – INBA Bikini Champion Thuy Vu
“Before meeting Amelia I have always been an active person. I decided to compete to push my fitness further. I was very fortunate to meet Amelia to coach me through my 12 weeks of competition preparation. With Amelia’s guidance I never ever felt deprived or used any stimulants (fat burners) during my preparation. The training with Amelia was also fantastic no extensive cardio just plenty of wholesome food and a lot of hard work. Amelia and Gemma also provided posing classes which were lots of fun and gave a lot of helpful advice on the day. I am very thankful to have Amelia as a coach to guide me from nutrition, training, posing and all of her beauty secrets I wouldn’t have done it without her! Thank you Amelia and Gemma xx”
Here are my tips:
1 – Find a reputable and qualified coach
– who has competed before
– who has qualifications
– who has a proven track record of coaching athletes that are healthy for the long term
– Message or email their past clients to find out about the experience and ask how they felt both during and importantly AFTER the competition program
– Just because someone is successful they may not be the right person for you, you need to connect with them and believe in their method. Ask a lot of questions.
– Your body is precious, do your research carefully!
2 – Make your health a priority
– Avoid stimulants such as caffeine loaded fat burners, long term use may be damaging
– Be very organised and get a good night’s sleep then this will give you natural energy
– You need to build in stretching, yoga and active recovery to balance your program
3 – Be prepared for expense
– The financial outlay is huge and you don’t get paid for competing
– Entry fees, federation fees, costumes, hair and make up all add up!
4 – Weights are the priority with your training
– They will change the shape of your body
– You must learn CORRECT technique and never sacrifice technique by lifting too heavy
5 – Meal preparation is vital
– Carry your food with you in a cooler bag and never be stuck without the correct foods
– Learn how to order at a restaurant so you can stay on track and still socialise
6 – Keep it real
– Most successful fitness models take years to perfect their look
– Be humble when you don’t win or place and don’t make a “Face” on stage when you don’t place how you expect, everyone can see this and it looks like you are a “sore loser” which no one respects. Fake a smile if you need to, congratulate those who do win or place.
– Keep it classy, you should look like a brand ambassador not a stripper
7 – Tanning, hair and make up are important
– The right tan, needs to be dark enough
– Make up on your face should match your body and be applied to last under the stage lights (NEVER use body colour or dream tan on your face).
8 – Stage Presence and Walk
– Your posing, stage presence and walk should be practised for months in advance
– You need to enjoy your time on stage and smile from the moment you step on stage to the moment you step off stage
9 – Never think you know everything, you can always improve
– Always email the judges for feedback
– There will always be a fine detail you can improve upon
– Watch back the DVD and look at yourself in motion, not just in still photos. It is how you move not just how you stand in a photo (includes slowing down posing, smiling for the whole performance and not over posing – finding your stage presence takes time)
10 – Understand you need an off season
– Health is wealth
– You cannot train with the high intensity that you would in a pre-contest training routine all year round, an off season and good head space is essential
– Risks include adrenal fatigue (metabolic damage), infertility and negative body image
Good luck on your journey and I will leave you with some photos from the recent competitions.
We have a list of girls interested for 2014, if you are interested in training with us for a Fitness Model Specific Program or General Shape Up – please contact us NOW.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
And LIKE us on facebook for daily fitness tips, daily motivational quotes and delicious recipes!
Love and Light
Amelia x o